Japan Rail Pass
About Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass)
The JR Pass is a cost-effective solution for long distance train travel in Japan. The JR Pass gives you access to the JR network nationwide and is a lot cheaper than buying individual train tickets. Offering unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) transportation, including all JR trains (Shinkansen “bullet trains” except “Nozomi” and “Mizuho” service. Limited Express Trains, Express Trains and Rapid or Local trains) *, JR bus company local lines (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokal Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Kyushu Bus) and the JR Miyajima ferry. JR Pass holders can also use the Tokyo Monorail. However, the Pass is not valid for travel on express bus routes operated by JR bus companies. The Japan Rail Pass is not valid on private (non-JR) railway lines such as: Hakone-Tozan, Nankai Koya, Fujikyu, Kitakinki-Tango. Some JR trains do travel over non-JR tracks and JR Pass holders are required to pay a supplement for this part of the journey (either onboard or at the station).
The Japan Rail Pass must be purchased before your arrival to Japan, because it is not available for sale inside Japan. The pass comes in two types: ordinary and green car (first class cars) that offer more spacious seats than ordinary cars.
What You Should Know
Types of JR PassConsecutive 7, 14, or 21 days.
What is an Exchange Order?
- Once your purchase is completed, you will receive an 'Exchange Order' in Singapore.
- Upon arrival in Japan, your exchange order is validated and exchanged for your actual pass in any JR Office in Japan.
- The Exchange Order is valid for a 3-month period following the date of issue, you must turn in your
- Exchange Order to obtain your Japan Rail Pass.
- Original Passport is required to exchange the voucher for the Japan Rail Pass
- Once a start date has been assigned and once the pass has been exchanged, it can no longer be changed.
- Train reservations can only be made in Japan.
- The exchange order is non-transferrable
To use the Japan Rail Pass it is necessary to:
- Be a Foreign Tourist (i.e. a non-Japanese national)
- Foreign tourist entering Japan with the status of ‘Temporary Visitor ‘ for tourism purpose only.
Visitors who are not eligible to use the Japan Rail Pass:
- People who are Japanese nationals (subject to exceptions)
- People who are visiting for non-tourism purposes (working holiday, military, diplomatic, cultural, research, work, etc.)
Rail Passes for sale
- JR West Kansai Area Pass (1 Day / 2, 3, 4 Consecutive days / Kansai Wide Area Pass 5 Days)
- Ise Kumano Area Tourist Pass (5 Days)
- Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass (5 Days)
- JR West Sanin-Okayama Area Pass (4 Days)
- JR West Setouchi Area Pass (5 Days)
- JR West Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass (5 Days)
- JR West Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass (7 Days)
- JR West Hokuriku Area Pass (4 Days)
- JR West Hiroshima-Yamaguchi Area Pass (5 Days)
- JR Hokkaido Rail Pass (3, 5, 7 Consecutive Days / Flexi 4 days in 10 Consecutive Days)
- JR Kyushu Rail Pass (All Kyushu / Northern Kyushu)
- JR All Shikoku Rail Pass (2, 3, 4, 5 Consecutive Days)
Find out more about the rail passes
Give us a call and we endeavour to answer all enquiries within 24 hours on business days.
6694 8848 / 6604 8848